Thursday, October 30, 2014

Coding is not just for Hipsters

A student sent me this screenshot of her coding work from tech class yesterday. I adore the sarcasm of 8th graders. In referencing sarcasm, I might sound sarcastic, but I wasn't being sarcastic. Seriously.
The site we've been using in 8th grade tech is www.codecademy.com. The 8th graders have done block-coding with Alice already, and they were excited to use what they've been calling 'real' code. They were excited, that is, until they realized what one misplaced quotation mark can do to their work.

That time I actually was being sarcastic. The students were interested throughout, although concepts of organization of code came more easily to some than they did to others. Being able to track the students as they coded let me know who needed me to jump in and explain concepts and who would probably be able to create an entire Hipster Lyfe website in 48 minutes.

(please note: the cat links to a local coffee shop that sells free-trade, organic coffee)

No comments: